Article 41: Review of notified body assessment of technical documentation and performance evaluation documentation
1. The authority responsible for notified bodies, as part of its ongoing monitoring of notified bodies, shall review an appropriate number of notified body assessments of manufacturers' technical documentation, in particular the performance evaluation documentation to verify the conclusions drawn by the notified body based on the information presented by the manufacturer. The reviews by the authority responsible for notified bodies shall be conducted both off-site and on-site.
2. The sampling of files to be reviewed in accordance with paragraph 1 shall be planned and representative of the types and risk of devices certified by the notified body, in particular high-risk devices, and be appropriately justified and documented in a sampling plan, which shall be made available by the authority responsible for notified bodies to the MDCG upon request.
3. The authority responsible for notified bodies shall review whether the assessment by the notified body was conducted appropriately and shall check the procedures used, associated documentation and the conclusions drawn by the notified body. Such checking shall include the technical documentation and performance evaluation documentation of the manufacturer upon which the notified body has based its assessment. Such reviews shall be conducted utilising CS.
4. Those reviews shall also form part of the re-assessment of notified bodies in accordance with Article 40(10) and the joint assessment activities referred to in Article 43(3). The reviews shall be conducted utilising appropriate expertise.
5. Based on the reports of the reviews and assessments by the authority responsible for notified bodies or joint assessment teams, on input from the market surveillance, vigilance and post-market surveillance activities described in Chapter VII, or on the continuous monitoring of technical progress, or on the identification of concerns and emerging issues concerning the safety and performance of devices, the MDCG may recommend that the sampling carried out under this Article cover a greater or lesser proportion of the technical documentation and performance evaluation documentation assessed by a notified body.
6. The Commission may, by means of implementing acts, adopt measures setting out the detailed arrangements, associated documents for, and coordination of, the review of assessments of technical documentation and performance evaluation documentation, as referred to in this Article. Those implementing acts shall be adopted in accordance with the examination procedure referred to in Article 107(3).