Article 110: Transitional provisions
1. From 26 May 2022, any publication of a notification in respect of a notified body in accordance with Directive 98/79/EC shall become void.
2. Certificates issued by notified bodies in accordance with Directive 98/79/EC prior to 25 May 2017 shall remain valid until the end of the period indicated on the certificate, except for certificates issued in accordance with Annex VI to Directive 98/79/EC which shall become void at the latest on 27 May 2024.
Certificates issued by notified bodies in accordance with Directive 98/79/EC from 25 May 2017 shall become void by 27 May 2024.
3. By way of derogation from Article 5 of this Regulation, a device with a certificate that was issued in accordance with Directive 98/79/EC and which is valid by virtue of paragraph 2 of this Article may only be placed on the market or put into service provided that from the date of application of this Regulation it continues to comply with that Directive, and provided there are no significant changes in the design and intended purpose. However, the requirements of this Regulation relating to post-market surveillance, market surveillance, vigilance, registration of economic operators and of devices shall apply and replace the corresponding requirements in that Directive.
Without prejudice to Chapter IV and paragraph 1 of this Article, the notified body that issued the certificate referred to in the first subparagraph shall continue to be responsible for the appropriate surveillance in respect of all applicable requirements relating to the devices it has certified.
4. Devices lawfully placed on the market pursuant to Directive 98/79/EC prior to 26 May 2022 and devices placed on the market 26 May 2022 by virtue of a certificate as referred to in paragraph 2 of this Article, may continue to be made available on the market or put into service until 27 May 2025.
5. By way of derogation from Directive 98/79/EC, devices which comply with this Regulation may be placed on the market before 26 May 2022.
6. By way of derogation from Directive 98/79/EC, conformity assessment bodies which comply with this Regulation may be designated and notified prior to 26 May 2022. Notified bodies which are designated and notified in accordance with this Regulation may carry out the conformity assessment procedures laid down in this Regulation and issue certificates in accordance with this Regulation prior to 26 May 2022.
7. As regards devices subject to the procedures laid down in Article 48(3) and (4), paragraph 5 of this Article applies provided that the necessary appointments to the MDCG and expert panels and of EU reference laboratories have been made.
8. By way of derogation from Article 10 and points (a) and (b) of Article 12(1) of Directive 98/79/EC, manufacturers, authorised representatives, importers and notified bodies which, during the period starting on the later of the dates referred to in point (f) of Article 113(3) and ending 18 months later, comply with Article 27(3) and Article 28(1) and Article 51(5) of this Regulation shall be considered to comply with the laws and regulations adopted by Member States in accordance with Article 10 and points (a) and (b) of Article 12(1) of Directive 98/79/EC as specified in Decision 2010/227/EU.
9. Authorisations granted by the competent authorities of the Member States in accordance with Article 9(12) of Directive 98/79/EC shall keep the validity indicated in the authorisation.
10. Until the Commission has designated, pursuant to Article 24(2), issuing entities, GS1, HIBCC and ICCBBA shall be considered to be designated issuing entities.